Mr. Trehan FRCS FRCOG is a consultant gynaecologist specialising in the treatment of endometriosis by excision, uterine fibroids by myomectomy and ovarian cysts by cyst excision with ovarian conservation.
Mr. Trehan is a Consultant Gynaecologist and is a Fellow of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists (FRCOG) and a Fellow of the Royal College of Surgeons (FRCS). Having practiced in the National Health Service (NHS) for over 30 years (of which 20 years were as a consultant), he now practices solely within the private sector in West Yorkshire and Harley Street, London.
During Mr. Trehan’s time as a consultant gynaecologist he has been involved in the management of thousands of patients. Through counselling, prescription and surgical intervention, Mr. Trehan has helped many of his patients reach their primary end goal which is usually a reduction/elimination of pelvic pain and/or an improvement in fertility caused by a variety of gynaecological pathologies. To this end, Mr. Trehan has undertaken thousands of major benign gynaecological procedures using keyhole surgery. In particular, Mr. Trehan is a specialist in the treatment of gynaecological pathologies causing chronic pelvic pain and infertility including endometriosis, fibroids, ovarian cysts and pelvic adhesions. The majority of his operations involve complicated procedures, many of which are referred to him by other consultants and from other parts of the United Kingdom or abroad (many of whom have had several previous operations by other consultants by the time to come to see Mr. Trehan). Mr. Trehan’s clinic was one of the first centres in the country to be accredited by the British Society for Gynaecological Endoscopy (BSGE) for the treatment of advanced endometriosis, and is the only private clinic in the country to have achieved this accreditation, reflecting the high volume of patients with complicated conditions which Mr. Trehan treats.
Mr. Trehan is a specialist in laparoscopic (keyhole) surgery and has shown a unique new direction to the future of complex gynaecological surgery by proving that almost all non-cancerous gynaecological surgery can be undertaken via keyhole means. He strongly believes that there is very little need for the traditional and widely used choice of laparotomy (open) in benign gynaecological surgery where a large cut is given to the patient’s stomach as it is associated with increased complications, post-operative pain and a slower recovery; and this is reflected in his practice as Mr. Trehan performs almost all major gynaecological procedures via keyhole surgery.
Mr Trehan has innovated and developed surgical techniques and services aimed at improving the quality of life for women in terms of pain and fertility including:
- The UK’s only one of its kind “Overnight Hospital Stay Service” following major gynaecological surgery.
- “Temporary Ovarian Suspension” for the treatment and prevention of ovarian adhesions.
- “Total Peritoneal Excision” for the management of endometriosis.
- “Post-Hysterectomy Vaginal Vault Excision” for chronic pelvic pain and painful sexual intercourse (dyspareunia) following a hysterectomy.
Women being treated by Mr. Trehan can be confident that should they need surgery:
- Their operation will be undertaken via keyhole means as Mr Trehan undertakes all operations for almost all gynaecological benign conditions by keyhole means.
- Their operation will be completed by keyhole means as his conversion rate (change over to open operation during keyhole) is one of the lowest reported in the medical literature.
- It is unlikely that they will return back to theatre for postoperative complications.
- Their overall risks of suffering a complication is miniscule, and is one of the lowest reported in the medical literature.
- That they will be fit to leave for home after overnight stay. Over 90% of Mr Trehan’s patients do leave after an overnight stay.
- It is unlikely they will be readmitted due to surgical complications.
This website contains information on some of the gynaecological procedures which Mr. Trehan performs, a guide to keyhole surgery and information about his practice. A significant proportion of Mr. Trehan’s patients are from other parts of the United Kingdom or abroad and Mr. Trehan has special arrangements for patients travelling to see him such that the amount of travelling they must do is minimized.
For information on making an appointment with Mr. Trehan, please click here.